Sunday, August 17, 2008

Goodbyes

I didn't make it to church cause Amelia wasn't feeling good. It ended up being a good thing. John called (forgetting I was supposed to be at church) and said that his grandma will probably die today. The dr. said that she has bilateral pneumonia (along with other illnesses she already has, like lupus) and her white cell count is way down. He said even if they are able to treat the pneumonia, he feels she will not survive it. Last night my Gma and Gpa Greer went to the hospital and my grandpa gave Edna a blessing. John's family isn't lds, but Edna's husband was at one point in his life. It made me happy to know that my gpa was able to go do that for them and that my gma was able to talk to her and comfort her some. I am glad that she has all her daughters there with her. She is to weak to talk or anything, but we wanted the kids to be able to talk to her. So John put his cell on speakerphone and I put the kids on one at a time to talk to her. I told them to make sure they told her that they loved her and if they wanted to tell her what they had been up to, she would probably like to hear that. It was sad hearing the kids tell her how they will miss her and how they hope she is happy in heaven, but what really broke me down was Austin telling her about starting school tomorrow and he hopes it will be fun - while bawling his eyes out. I had Amelia talk to her, even though she doesn't really get what is going on. I knew Edna would want to hear her sweet little voice. I told John I would call back later cause after listening to all the kids, I wasn't in any position to talk to anyone. After I talked to the kids for a while. I told them how we would be sad that we wouldn't get to see her anymore, but we can also be happy for her because she will get to see her husband who died a long while back and she misses a lot. She will also get to see her parents. I told them that my Gma Greer said that when she thinks about dying she is not sad because she hasn't seen her parents in a very long time and she will be so happy to see them again because she misses them. I am sad that she won't be there at Thanksgiving. We are planning on going down to Phoenix then, since we are both from there and both of our extended families live there. I wish she could have had the chance to see the kids in person one more time. I am thankful that I took pics of her with John and with the kids the last time we were there, so the kid will have those. I feel so helpless. John is so far away and I want to just hold him and comfort him, but I can't. I am just grateful that Edna has her family there with her and that we were all given the chance to talk to her before she passes. I can't imagine losing someone suddenly. Both of my sets of grandparents are still alive. I have never had a family member die. John is calling so I can talk to her so I'm going to go.

No comments: