Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On the Move Again

<----This is our new house!
----------------------------------------
Yep. You read that right. After a whopping 7 months (well it will be when we move out) of living in my house, we are moving again. I keep asking John, didn't we just do this a minute ago?? To say that I am not thrilled by this would be an understatement. Here is why: We were supposed to be able to buy the house we are in now. We wanted to live in it for a year first to try it out. You know, make sure we loved the ward, the school, the neighborhood. Well we do. We LOVE it here! The ward is fabulous, the kids school is amazing, and all their school and primary friends all live on our street. So why are we moving you ask? Because we didn't get it in writing. The thing is, we were supposed to do the agreement to buy the house after the first year, so we just had a verbal agreement. Well apparently that agreement didn't mean as much to the owners of the house as it did to us. They legally separated 5 months after we moved in, and the wife put in the papers that she gets first option on the house for the next 3 years! Nice. So we began looking for a house in March and we found one last month. We put a deposit down to hold it and gave our notice, still hoping that something would work out here. Well we heard nothing, so a month later, on the 7th of this month, we went and paid our money down on the house, finished the final paperwork, and got the keys. Yay! We finally had a house that is ours! That afternoon (I am not kidding, within an hour of getting home) the owner comes over to reconnect the sprinklers and he tells my husband that 2 days before we had submitted our notice, his ex had taken her option out of the paperwork! Grrrr!!! Why did he not tell us until a month later, after we had already finalized on the other house and couldn't walk away without losing thousands of dollars? Because (according to him) he thought we were moving for financial reasons. This is so frustrating to me because we specifically told him, "We're moving because your wife has put an option on the house and we can't buy it anymore.". If he had told us she had taken it off, it would have changed everything and we would have stayed here where we are happy! (Deep Breath!) Anyway, we are excited about the move because the new house is beautiful. It is huge and has all the upgrades we could ever want. It is basically brand new. It was built in late 2005, but other than about 3 months where she had renters in it, it has been empty. So it is still as pristine as if it had just been built. Plus we are getting an AWESOME deal on it because the owner bought it as an investment property and then the market tanked, so she is selling it to us at a major loss just to get rid of it. It is in a beautiful area, you can see the entirety of Utah Lake and the mountains from my front porch (yes, I have a HUGE front porch - and all the cold storage in the basement that goes along with that! Something I have always wanted.) and from all the rooms at the front of the house. It is also way closer to my sister Robyn, who is building a house in Pleasant Grove and my friend Cheryl, whom I met back when I was living in Concord, but as since moved back to her house in Provo. It is also about 15 minutes away from my ex's parents, which I am excited about because I love them a lot and am glad for them to be close to me and the kids. So while we are sad to leave the wonderful place we are now, financially it is a great move for us and we hope that it turns out to be a great place for our family. We have already moved half of our stuff, and will slowly finish moving in as we approach the 29th, which is when the kids get out of school. My goal is to get everything moved and unpacked, so when we move in, we can just walk in and live there. I hope I can get it done! 15 days and counting.

No comments: