Thursday, May 15, 2008

Moving, Decorating and Other Thoughts

Well, we got a lot done yesterday. We moved another Suburban/ trailer load to the new house. I think that we have more than half our stuff at the other house now. I had enough furniture there to actually set up my living room. I didn't hang anything up in there though, cause I want to wait 'til I get my piano there so I can make sure everything is where I want it. My new living room is smaller than the one I have here (because the one here is open to the kitchen and has no walls, and the new one is an actual room) and so I have to figure out how to arrange things so it doesn't FEEL small. Luckily decorating is one of my favorite things to do, so I am enjoying it. I already have a lot of my stuff on the walls. I didn't want my house to feel naked while I was moving into it. The first thing I did when we started moving our stuff over was take my huge picture of Christ and put it on the fireplace mantle in the family room. It is one of my favorite pictures, and unlike the traditional pictures of him in the red robes, he is smiling. I wanted it in a central place in my house so I could see it often, because it makes me feel so happy every time I see it. The next thing I put up was my huge picture of the Oakland Temple. That temple is special to me and I have spent countless hours there filled with peace and joy. So I wanted it to be somewhere prominent. I found the perfect place in the hall upstairs. I have an open staircase with a 2 story front entry, so it is also the first thing you see from the front door. I like that it is somewhere I will walk by and see it often. I also hung up some of my shelves and little decorative things, but those are the 2 I was most excited to get up. Now I just have to go get a new picture of the First Presidency for my living room. I had that centered on my wall between the 2 declarations - The Living Christ and the Declaration on the Family. But since the reorganization of the First Presidency, I haven't replaced the picture. I have thought about it, driving past Latter Day Book, every time I go to Wal-Mart, but that is as far as I have gone. I think part of it is I am sad to take down the picture of President Hinkley. He was such a great man and it makes me sad to take it down. Maybe I will put it in another frame and put it in my office, or put it in a scrapbook. I don't want to just throw it away or anything.

Now if I could just get over to the kids new school and get them registered! I was supposed to do that yesterday, but we ended up leaving here too late to get there before the office was closed. Darn it! That was the whole reason I had planned to take the stuff yesterday! Now I am going to have to go tomorrow, which will work out because I won't have to take all the kids with me. Yesterday was early day, so I would have had to take all 6 with me. Tomorrow is a regular day, plus the kindergarten is having a field trip til 2pm, so it will just be Brooklyn and Amelia with me. So maybe I am glad I have to do it tomorrow, because it will be less stressful registering 5 kids for school (Brooklyn goes next year) if I don't have all of them with me. I want to do it now because I want to make sure that they have places for them all. When I was in Concord, their school didn't have room for all of them and they said that they would have to go to 2 different schools, and one of them was over in Clayton. Yeah right! So I ended up home schooling them for 3 months until they started the new semester and they had room for them. As fun as that was to have them home and do school together, I don't really want to do that again. I am sad that Brooklyn is starting kindergarten, but I am looking forward to it being just Amelia and me. Since she is turning 3 this summer, I have a couple years of just her and me and I am looking forward to that. Plus I am looking forward to all that I can get done with only one child at home. Am I being overly optimistic? We shall see. In the meantime, I am going to enoy the summer with all of them home. I am looking forward to getting settled in our new ward and neighborhood over the summer, and I am planning lots of fun things to go do and see.

I am so glad we are moving during the summer!! Every other time we have moved it has been during the school year How many times, you may wonder? Since getting married 3 1/2 years ago, this will be our 4th move - and that doesn't include the girls and I moving in with John and the boys when we got married! I am so excited to finally have a place that is ours, where we can put down roots and stay. Where we can make friends, and then not have to leave. I am just so excited to finally have somewhere to call home, instead of just a house we are living in.

No comments: