Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend Update

This weekend was nice. Saturday we drove out to Utah Lake to soak up some sun and check out the boats. It was a super hot day though, so we didn't spend a lot of time there. We spent the rest of the time driving around and looking at new houses (one of our favorite things to do) and then my husband decided we needed to take my suburban 4wheeling. Of course. He would think that. I totally did not want to, especially since he wanted to go up this huge (to me) hill and down again. But the kids were totally psyched about it, so it was 7 to 1. My stipulation was that afterwards, he had to drive over to the carwash cause I was totally not going to drive my truck to church with about 3 inches of dirt on it. So he drove around and the kids had a blast. I read my LDS Living and tried to pretend it wasn't happening. Then we went to the carwash, and the kids enjoyed that too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday not a lot happened. We went to church. It was the 5th Sunday, so we had combined RS and EQ, which I always enjoy. The bishop and his 2 counselors each spoke. The one I enjoyed the most was the one about modesty. I already am strict about that in my house. My kids dress as if they have already been to the temple. Long shorts, no sleeveless, etc. It was hard when I went to the temple and I had to get rid of, like, half my clothes. So I felt like in addition to making it easier for them to value their bodies and behave, it would help to ingrain the modesty in dress from the beginning. I remember one of the ladies from my old Walnut Creek Stake talking about how she had always required her children to dress as if they had always been to the temple, and how as adults they had thanked her because they never had to struggle with making that decision because it was already made and that it had really positively impacted their lives. Anyway, one thing he talked about that caught my attention was talking about how part of dressing modestly was dressing appropriately for the occasion. I like that. Too often you see people wearing denim and flip flops to church or the temple, or you go to a play and there are people there in jerseys and shorts. I liked the idea of teaching our children to dress appropriately. My children know that they would never wear their every day clothes to church. They even have dresses that are every day dresses, but not dresses that they wear to church. My boys are in a full suit, complete with jacket and tie, and have been from the beginning. Anyway, we spent the rest of the day just hanging out as a family. Then John had to go to the church and I fell asleep on the couch in the family room. I woke up and the windows were open, and it was chilly ourside. Surprising, since lately it has been about 95. Then all of the sudden it started to pour like crazy outside out of nowhere! Majorly! That lasted about 5 minutes, then it just drizzled and was cold the rest of the afternoon/ evening. Then one of our home teachers came over to visit. He is really nice and really funny, so we had a good time talking. It rained all night and was raining this morning when I got up. It has been super windy too. I am enjoying the change of weather though, cause I am tired of it being so hot and fall is my favorite season.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is Labor Day, so the kids didn't have school. We couldn't think of anything we really wanted to do with it being cold outside, so we decided to just veg out as a family. Something we haven't done in a long time. So we rented a couple movies, went to Wal-Mart and got some junk food and just hung out. My kids must have thought they died and went to heaven. One cause they finally got to watch Water Horse, which I have to say was really good. Two, because I never have junk food at my house and they were probably thrilled to get more in one day than they usually get in a whole month. I hope they enjoyed it because it was a one time thing.

1 comment:

D and C said...

You are awesome! Thank you so much for your comments and that AWESOME QUOTE!!
That is why I love you! You are the best!