Thursday, July 31, 2008

American Idol - #1

Ok. I still haven't quite figured out how to put the pics and writing on her like I want, so bear with me. Here are what the pics are:


#1: Setting up for auditions #2: People lining up to audition #3: Me auditioning #4: My wristband #5 The arena after they seated everyone #6 The American Idol logo on the ceiling screen






























Ok. So tons of people have asked about how American Idol went, and I have been lame about answering cause, well, it gets old typing the same thing over and over again. Not to mention answering all the people that call or I see in person. So I am finally getting on here to post about it. Here is how my week as gone:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Saturday the 26th, I took the kids to my ex husbands parents house to spend the night, and went to at Iggy's and then to see Get Smart (hilarious!). We were out late and got home a little after 12. I layed down for a while and realized that there was no way that I was going to be able to sleep, so at 1 I got up and showered and started getting ready to goAt 3am we left to go to Salt Lake to get our wristbands, and we got there at 4 and were there til 7:30, which was a lot faster than I thought it would be, but we were also in the second group of people. It wasn't really a line, it was more like large groups of people separated by yellow tape.
Anyway, I met 4 boys (Justin, Sean, Jeff and Jacob) that were about 22, and we hung out and talked all morning. They were hilarious and I had a blast with them.When it was time to get wristbands and seat tickets, we all registered together so we could sit together on Tuesday. Then we left and went and got the kids, so we could go to church at 11. When we got home, I had not slept in 2 days at that point. We came home and had lunch and crashed. Then got up, fed the kids, then crashed again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I spent Monday sleeping in and then getting my hair done (hate it) and once again didn't get any sleep. I went to bed at 10 and I think I slept for an hour between then and 1:30 am when I got up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tues. I got up, did my hair, got ready and left the house at 3am so we could get back to the Arena by 4am again. While in line I met several awesome people that I talked with all morning, including my new friend Jade Alibi.(She is awesome! Check her out on myspace and listen to her!) We waited outside in line til 8. This time I was in the front of the first group of people in line. We did things like shoot the intro for the tv show EXTRA! (Extra, Extra! We love American idol!) and did a bunch of other FOX promo shots. We also got to see Justin Guarinni (sp?) (from the first season) who was there doing interviews and saying hi to everyone. Then finally at 8am they let us in. John and I went inside and we were in the first section of seats. They had us learn 2 songs before we came (Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Get Ready by The Temptations) and those are their theme songs for this season. They had everyone in the arena singing those while they taped them and did crowd shots.Anyway, after wasting a couple hours doing promo crap, they finally started letting people go down to the floor to start auditioning and I was in the first section. By that time, my boys were there sitting with me, so I kissed John bye and we (me and the boys) went and got in line. I had fun in line and enjoyed talking to all the people around me. I was probably in line for about an hour, then they said they were taking a break from auditions. I was like great, cause that doesn't meant that we got a break. We still had to stand there in line. Then they brought in Ryan Seacrest. Then they did the shots where they had people screaming "Welcome to Salt Lake City" and everyone screaming and stuff. What cracked me up is the retards had some people scream "Welcome to Happy Valley". For those of you not from here, the reason that was so retarded was that we were in Salt Lake which is of course in Salt Lake County, and Happy Valley is another name for Utah County, which is where I live. Duh! Someone should have pointed that out to them. I guess I will see if they air that or not when the show starts airing.
After that they started up the auditions again, and actually the line went really fast. Faster then I expected, then I was like Oh my heck! We're the front of the line! They had us in line 4 people across, so I was with Justin and Jeff and then a girl I didn't know. The guy directing the people in line sent us to table 3. We waited through 2 rows of people in front of us, then it was our turn. Now I don't think I have ever sang in an environment as impersonal as the AI auditions. It is 2 producers sitting behind a card table and there are black curtains between the tables (see my pics) and then the 4 of you line up in front of them. Then one at a time, you each get to sing - for 30 seconds! Then all 4 of you go up to the table and they tell you if you made it or not. They told me that I had a great voice and sounded really good, but wasn't what they were looking for. I was ok with that cause I know I sounded good and did an awesome job. If I wasn't what they were looking for, that was ok with me. I didn't think I was, I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity since this was the last year I could audition. My cousin, who also auditioned, said that they told him that they were looking for something really specific this year, and he wasn't it. Of course, they weren't telling anyone what that something was.I heard tons of amazing singers that didn't make it. In fact I only saw them let through 1 or 2 girls. Out of all the thousands there, I think they were only letting through about 250 people. Then of course they have to let the retards through to make things interesting. Like the girl that was a ventriloquist with her singing grandma puppet (so freaking lame!) and the guy in the hawaiian shirt that was old enough to be my dad that they let through cause he "wrote a song for Paula and I'm here to sing it to her". Um yeah, Paula's not even here. That's right people, those auditions that you see on tv when they air the show? They won't even be held for another month and a half to 2 months.Then Hollywood week is in November.
Anyway, I had a ton of fun, took a bunch of pics, and met a lot of great people. I am so glad that I had the guts to do it! I feel like it will add to my confidence. After all, I sang in front of FOX producers, in a room full of thousands of strangers, and was told that I had a great voice. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My next mission: Going and singing karaoke with my other singer friends and another singing gig the end of August.

No comments: