Sunday, December 7, 2008

Season Of Light




My husband put lights on the house this weekend. I am SUPER excited about this because I have NEVER in my entire 28 years of life had lights on a house I lived in. My mom said that Justin says he remembers having lights on our house once when we were little, which is hilarious for 2 reasons: 1. My dad has never put lights on the house, and 2. One time my parents did put lights around the inside of the living room window on our house in Mesa, but considering we moved to CA from AZ when he was only 2, I doubt he remembers that. So my mom says I should just let him think that so get can feel happy that one time we did. I said it's my job as his older sister to inform him that he is on crack and we never had any and since I am 7 years older I would remember it more than him if it had happened. I mean, I don't want to shirk my sisterly duties. (Or miss out on an opportunity to use the word shirk. I mean how often does that come along?)


My dad wouldn't never do it. He always said the house or the tree. Obviously his way of getting out of it because who wants a tree with no lights. If I had been smarter, I would have said fine the house and see what he had to say about that. Then my ex wouldn't ever put any up because he was too lazy and didn't want to do it. 4 years of asking, 4 years of nothing. So I thought I was pretty much resigned to the same fate with John. I kept whining about lights - nothing, pleading about lights - still nothing. Then we went to Walmart and (without a word from me) he just headed over to the Christmas decor section and starting looking through lights. Then debating the different lights. Then PUTTING THEM IN MY CART! I was afraid to say anything, that I might jinx it and they might go back on the shelf. But no, they are now on my house. 8 strands of white icicle lights decorating the first and second story of my house. It looks beautiful. I like to look out the window from the inside and see the icicles hanging down above the window. I'm glad John didn't fall off the tiers of our roof (even though I was sure he would) and kill himself. I had to stay inside because I just couldn't watch. But now I love to drive up to them every time I leave the house. Someday when we have a lot of money (assuming that someday ever comes) I want to be one of those houses COVERED in lights. You know. The houses that everyone drives to see and it has a bazillion (which is totally a word even though spell check says it's not) lights and displays and you have to get out and walk through the yard to see everything. I figure if I add a few things every year, that's the most economical way to do it. For now I will just enjoy my icicles for Christmases to come.

No comments: