Monday, June 23, 2008

The Longest Post I've Ever Written or What I Have Been Doing For the Last Month While I Have Been Ignoring You

So I am elated to say that I finally have internet here again. So prepare for the longest post of your life, since I have a lot of catching up to do!
We are all moved into our new house. Except for the stuff that goes in the rooms we are finishing in the basement, I am all unpacked. Yay! Today I am playing clean the house and rearrange the furniture cause I haven't been able to do that since we have been working so hard on the basement. The upside to that is that we are almost done with both bedrooms in the basement. We are sanding it. Then it is just texture and paint. We aren't going to do the flooring yet cause we want to wait til the whole basement is done. We did get some industrial carpet (I think that's what it is) for the playroom. We lucked out. We were at Home Depot (one of my favorite stores ever) and we went and looked at the carpet remnants. Someone had returned one that was the wrong size, so we got a piece that's big enough for the playroom, including the closet, for $51. Not bad, huh? I figured they will probably ruin it anyway, so get something nice and cheap cause I don't want them down there playing on cement. In my scrapbook room I got some nice chocolate brown cement paint and I am just going to paint the floor for now. It will be nice with my rolling chairs anyway. Eventually I plan on hardwood for the basement, but I haven't been able to find one I like at a price I like. We lucked out on finishing the rest of the walls. We will be able to borrow a texture gun from my neighbor (he and his family do drywalling) so we won't have to pay the $98 a day to rent one. Whew! Like I have that kind of money! We also don't have to buy paint cause there is so much left over paint from when the house was built that we have several of the 5 gallon buckets of paint in the garage. I am excited to have my scrapbook room done and get to get my stuff back out. I am more excited to get the playroom finished because then I can unpack all the kids toys and then maybe I won't feel like banging my head on the wall all the time!!
In other news, John is still on disability. He was starting to have some more numbness in his hand (which apparently can be a sign of recovery?) and so the doctor wants to do another MRI and get him in for another epidural injection in the next couple weeks. I guess the doctor decided that it might do some good after all, because when he had the first one he said that it had not done enough to be worth doing another one. So we just wait and see, but it looks like he will be home til about August going off what I have heard so far. Which is frustrating, but I know that there is no way I would have gotten the basement done without him, so I'm not complaining.
Another reason it has been nice to have John home is that I am able to work on my singing career without having to pay a babysitter money we don't have. My vocal coach is holding some summer classes that I really wanted to go to, that I wouldn't have been able to go to without him home. The one I am taking this month (or I took, it ends this Wednesday) is Winning Your Audience. It is a group class with 9 of us and it is to help you learn how to draw in your audience when you're singing and basically to get me over feeling like I am going to die when I sing in front of people. I still get scared, but I am able to control it and am doing far better than I was when the class began. The next class I am taking in July is one that involves exercise and vocal technique training to help build my core muscles, which are very important in singing, and to expand my range so I can belt the really high notes like I can with everything else. :) I am really excited for that class. I am so glad that I finally decided to stop being such a weenie and to follow my dream. It is 100% because of my husband. My family totally doesn't support my singing as anything more than something I do with my kids, or in church when I get asked. My husband is my #1 fan and tells me all the time to get off my butt and do something serious with my singing. My vocal coach (who is a singer and her husband is in a band) has invited me to sing at some of their gigs with them and I am going to start out at one they are having on July 19th cause it will be a smaller one and I am not quite ready for big crowds. She also said that she wants to start recording my demo soon, but that takes quite a while to get done and put together so don't expect to hear anything in the near future other than that I am doing it. She gave me an old copy of her first one to listen to and it is awesome! I hope mine can be as good as hers! Another thing that she has been bugging me to do is try out for American Idol. As some of you may know, thanks to David A., AI will be bringing their tryouts to Salt Lake this year. She says I have a great chance of making it on and, as her husband says, you have as good of a chance as anyone else, why not you?
Well I can think of several reasons, such as:
1. I'm too fat and definitely not cute enough - Assuming Simon even let me through (he has made comments to other hopefuls about their weight), why is America going to vote for some fat ugly housewife? that brings me to #2
2. I'm a stay at home mom of 6 kids - Every year you see the older contestants and every year they get passed over for the young and hot. And no matter how good I am, I am most certainly neither of those. I am pushing the age limit. I turned 28 in Feb. and would turn 29 during the airing of the show next year. The age limit is 29 at the time of tryouts, so next year is the last year I could do it, but I would be 30 by the time the show started airing. And seriously who wants to vote for some old, ugly, overweight stay at home mom from Utah?
So although I have thought about it (as in, if I were in an alternate universe where I could suddenly lose 90 lbs. and become hot and then maybe it wouldn't matter that I was old and had 6 kids) I don't think it is going to become a reality. I have an outfit picked in case I change my mind. I have a couple song choices in case I change my mind. I just don't know how likely that will be. My husband is dying, I mean DYING for me to try out. He has told me that every day for the last 3 1/2 years that we have been married. He is obsessed. He says things like, you could be making us all this money and we could do all the stuff we want to do, or, God gave you this talent and it is a blessing and if you don't use it then he is going to take it away like it says in the scriptures. Nice. Always good to get in some doctrine based guilt when you can. So I don't exactly think that God's plan is for me to do American Idol, but I may try out just to say I did and to show myself that I didn't die from it. Or to shut my husband up. Yeah, more likely it would be the second one.
Yesterday was my ex-mother in law's birthday, so we went out to celebrate her birthday. We had a family get together at a campsite up in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It was beautiful and it was great to see everyone. The only awkward time was when we first got there my ex was still there. His mom had told me that he would be leaving at 5:30, but when I got there just after 6 he was still there. I talked to him and his mom, I didn't want anyone to have to leave because of me, but he said that he would leave so that the kids could stay and visit. I just felt bad that he should have to leave his own mom's party so that we could come. It is my sincere prayer that some day my husband will get over my ex husband and we can all just be civil. I don't want his family to have to choose between our family being there and him being there. I want to go to family gatherings and Christmas and so on, and not worry about is he going to be there, when is he leaving, etc. I appreciate that he left so there wasn't any drama, and he said he understood since I had been told one thing and then something else had happened instead, but I really don't care that he was there. I don't think my kids would have cared. Brooklyn doesn't know who he is so that wouldn't have mattered. Hailey might have cared for a minute, but she was so excited to see her grandma and aunt, that I don't think that it would have been more than a passing interest. He hasn't been in their lives at all for almost 3 years. I just hope that at some point we will be able to get the drama behind us and just coexist like grown-ups. I am just a lot more easy going that John is. Plus it is hard for him to deal with because we don't have that issue with his ex. She hasn't tried to contact him in almost 4 years. I have never met her or any of her family and none of them are involved in our lives. However I am very involved with my ex's family. I love them all like my own family and I can't imagine not having them around. Now that we are in the new house I am about 20 min. away from his parents and about 30 or so from the rest of his family. His entire family lives here in Utah close by. I am happy to be near them and to be able to have them be part of my kids lives. I love them all a lot, and with his great grandparents getting so old, I am glad to be able to see them and let them see the kids as much as I can while I can. I love them a lot and his mom's mom especially has a special place in my heart. I have lived with her twice and she has taught me so much and she has always treated me like I was one of her grandchildren, no matter what was going on . I love her like she was my own grandma and I can't imagine what it will be like when she is not here. She is so loving and giving and kind and so many things that I hope to become.
Well my husband will be here soon, so I should probably get back to my cleaning and rearranging the house. My mom and dad came into town today, and my mom is going to stay with me for the week while my dad is in Florida. He will be back on Friday and then Jacob and Natalie will be coming down that day too, cause Robyn and Joe are blessing Henry on Sunday. I am looking forward to my family being here again. I love having everyone here! :)

No comments: