Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Teenager?!!

So, today Tyler turned 13. How crazy is that? I told John it doesn't make me as old as he is, since I didn't give birth to him, but I have had him for more than half his life and he still makes me feel old. Ha!
We had our usual family party tonight, and John's mom joined us via skype for singing and cake. It was funny because before the party Tyler told her that he didn't feel like a teenager yet, but before bed he came to me and said now he felt like he was a real teenager. I told him maybe it was because we had the party, so it had sunk in now that he was really 13. It really cracked me up.
For his birthday I tried to get him everything he asked for. It wasn't a lot, and it wasn't super expensive, so I did my best. I spent a little over what John had agreed to, but it was only like $10 and I didn't feel bad because 13 is a big birthday.
For his birthday he got 4 books (3 of them are a series), 2 belts, a pair of flip flops, and a skateboard. He was super excited because everything he got was stuff he had asked for. After opening all the books he told me excitedly,"Now I won't be bored doing my reading for school for at least a couple months!" I doubt it will be that long, since he is as book obsessed as I am, but I'm glad he's so excited to have and read them.







For his cake he asked for a camping themed cake, so I did my best. I am by no means a cake decorator, and I have actually only made my kids' cakes a couple times, so it wasn't very impressive. Still, it must have been good enough for him because when we sat down to sing Happy Birthday and have cake, he told me it was the best cake he had ever had. And that's the most important part.

No comments: